? Pizza Please!
Who doesn’t love pizza? You won’t see any go to waste around our office. There isn’t much to hate about pizza (or writing about pizza at that). October is US National Pizza Month. In honor of that, we choose to take a quick look at some fun dates in the history of Pizza, trivia facts, and we list some of our hometown Denver pizza joints.
First observed in the United States during 1984 October was designated as National Pizza Month by Gerry Durnell, the founder of Pizza Today magazine, who chose that month because the first issue of his magazine debuted in October of that year. Durnell was a pizzeria owner in the small town of Santa Claus, Indiana when he realized there were no periodicals or tradeshow publications to support his growing pizza business or the industry in general.
? Some historial dates:
– The word “pizza” was first documented in 997 AD. Known as the dish for poor people, it was sold in the street and was not considered a kitchen recipe for a long time.
– In 1843, Alexandre Dumas, père, described the diversity of pizza toppings.
– A common story holds that on June 11, 1889 to honour the Queen consort of Italy, Margherita of Savoy, the Neapolitan pizzamaker Raffaele Esposito created the “Pizza Margherita”, a pizza garnished with tomatoes, mozzarella, and basil, to represent the national colours of Italy as on the Italian flag.
– Pizza first made its appearance in the United States with the arrival of Italian immigrants in the late 19th century and was very popular among large Italian populations in New York City, Chicago, Philadelphia, and Saint Louis.
– The first printed reference to “pizza” served in the US is a 1904 article in the Boston Journal.
? Some fun facts:
– Purists, like the famous pizzeria “Da Michele” in Via C. Sersale (founded 1870), consider there to be only two true pizzas — the Marinara and the Margherita — and that is all they serve.
– ‘Marinara’ was named so because it was traditionally the food prepared by “la marinara”, the seaman’s wife, for her seafaring husband when he returned from fishing trips in the Bay of Naples.
– “Associazione Verace Pizza Napoletana” (“True Neapolitan Pizza Association”), founded in 1984, has set a very specific rules that must be followed for an authentic Neapolitan pizza (much like Champagne and Tequilla are to Sparkling Wine and Agave Spirits).
– The highest-grossing single-unit independent pizzeria in the nation, Moose’s Tooth Pub and Pizzeria, is in Anchorage , Alaska. Its annual sales are approximately $6 million.
– There are approximately 61,269 pizzerias in the United States.
– There is a Pizza Expo held every year in Las Vegas, Nevada
? Staff Picks
Some of the staff around here chipped in on their favorite places to grab a slice around Denver:
? Some Other Denver Pizza Spots
Here are only some of the spots around Denver (there seem to be close to 1600 according to Yelp’s results of ‘Pizza Restaurants’ near Denver, CO). Feel free to reach out and we are happy to add anyone to the list right away! We are trying to keep up.
3 Guys Pies – East Colfax
Basil Doc’s Pizza – Washington Park
Beau Jo’s Pizza – University Hills
Carl’s Pizza – Berkley
Cosmo’s Pizzas – Downtown & Capitol Hill
Denver Pizza Company – Golden Triangle
Edgewater Inn – Edgewater
Famous Pizza – South Broadway
Garlic Knot – Mayfair
Hops & Pie – Highlands
Lala’s Wine Bar + Pizzeria – Governor’s Park
Lucky Pie Pizza and Taphouse – Downtown
Marco’s Pizza – LODO & East Colfax
maryjanespizza.com – Highlands
Oblio’s Cap Hill Tavern – Capitol Hill
Osteria Marco – LODO
Papou’s Pizzeria & Italian Eatery – Glendale
Patxi’s – Multiple Locations
Pizza Express – East Colfax
Pizza Fusion – Capitol Hill
Pizza & Grill – Capitol Hill
Proto’s Pizza – Riverfront
Slice Works – Capitol Hill
Sexy Pizza – Capitol Hill
Walter’s Pizzeria – Uptown
Wazee Supper Club – Downtown
Wyman’s No. 5 – Capitol Hill
Let’s take a nod to a food that most remember from their childhood, one that was a staple for most people living on their own for the first time, one that is known worldwide, and offers as many varieties as there are places to make them. ? Cheers to Pizza!
#Denver #Colorado #Pizza #NationalPizzaMonth #Pizzeria #PizzaSlice #PizzaPie #DeepDish #ThinCrust #HandTossed